January 30, 2013

Classic

While in college, my friend Tara Gordon and I were the chattiest of the chatty and spent hours sitting around speculating about our futures, as girls do.  I vividly recall Tara asking me, “What would your go-to entertaining meal be when you’re married?”  I wasn’t sure what she meant.  She clarified: “Well, mine would be steak, a baked potato and sautéed spinach.” “Even though you don’t eat meat?” I asked the vegetarian.  “That wouldn’t bother me.  Everyone likes steak.”  And while I do know a few non-meat eaters, Tara was on to something.  People love the classics.  In a world filled with mason jars and artisanal, it’s easy to dismiss silver trays and steak house favorites as old-fashioned.  But I like to think that they are timeless.  Case in point, this throw back dinner party menu received rave reviews.  Similarly, as much as I love bitters, I really relinquished the cool factor and served lemon drops, a classic ‘mom drink’.  But guess what?  A lemon drop is delicious.  And there’s nothing uncool about an ice cream sundae bar (scooping ice cream into glass bowls makes for a pretty presentation).  The only thing that could have made this a better party would’ve been having Tara on the guest list.

 The Menu

sips

lemon drops

snacks

crab cakes with tarragon sauce

truffle cheee & fig jam on rosemary flatbread

smoked salmon, creme fraiche & dill on pumpernickel 

prosciutto wrapped asparagus

to start

iceberg wedge with buttermilk blue cheese dressing & oven roasted cherry tomatoes

savory

filet mignon with cognac peppercorn sauce

twice baked potato with sour cream, cheddar & chives

sauteed spinach & mushrooms

popovers 

sweet

ice cream sundae bar
strawberry, chocolate, vanilla & mint chip
hot fudge, salted caramel & mixed berries
milk duds, m&m's, peanut butter cups, gummy bears, peanuts
sprinkles & jimmies
whipped cream
cherries for on top

1 comment:

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

Incredible. Can I request this as a birthday dinner?

Post a Comment