June 25, 2011

Sushi Night

Similar to Fleming's accidental discovery of penicillin, I recently discovered a new form of interactive entertaining. I invited my friends Ahna and Jen to dinner and had planned to serve homemade sushi. However, the day got away from me and an hour before their arrival, I had no sushi rolled. I calmly recalled the infamous 'taco night' formula we all grew up with and decided we could roll our own sushi. So I made the brown rice, laid out all of the fillings and put hand-roll instructions (complete with diagrams, from the back of the nori wrapper packaging) at each place setting. Miso soup and store-bought seaweed salad rounded out a "sushi night" feast. It was quite fun and I'll def do it again for a big group as interactive eating is my very favorite way to entertain: instantly engaging!
The Menu

ginger mojitos with agave

steamed edamame with sea salt

miso soup with tofu and shitakes

sesame seaweed salad with cucumbers

roll-your-own-sushi fillings:

spicy bay shrimp

salmon gravlax

salmon poke

avocado

crudites: cucumber, yellow & red peppers, asparagus, carrots

basil & mint

brown rice

soy and nori wrapping papers

soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, ponzu

2 comments:

supreme courtney said...

Awesome idea! Did you know that sushi chefs are usually men because their hand/body temperature is cooler than females?

That spicy bay shrimp is making my mouth water!

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

Love this idea!

www.clotheshorsenyc.com

Post a Comment