January 24, 2011

A Parisian Baby Shower (in Lavender)

Two years ago for her wedding, my dear friend Jen, had us, her bridesmaids, wear purple; I hemmed and hawed (not my most flattering color). For her baby shower I put aside my hue biases and embraced lavender. With a Parisian theme and menu, we kept the day simple with thoughtful touches like iron-on napkins. A French brunch buffet included tangerine mimosas, quiche, brie, baguette, salads and plenty of french pastries. (The very ones that contributed to my significant weight gain during a semester in Paris where a macaroon a day gradually became a bag of macaroons a day. They're just too enticing.) And I'm not afraid to admit that the majority of our spread came from San Francisco's famed bakery Tartine. Sometimes it's fun to focus on the other details and take a break from the kitchen. Our theme developed with a playlist of Edith Piaf, Pink Martini and Brigitte Bardot. The game: a who's who guessing game with all party guests' baby photos pinned up on a clothes line. For favors: bars of lavender soap from the farmer's market with Jen's due date as the tag. Now we're all excited to meet baby Charlotte and get her in some Petit-Bateau.
The Menu

a buffet

tangerine mimosas

croissants, pain au chocolat, almond croissants
strawberry and fig jams

parisian ham and vegetable deep dish quiche

wedges of brie with baguette

green salad with champagne vinaigrette

fruit salad with satsumas, pomegranates, kiwi and blueberries and yogurt

cafe au laits

assortment of french macaroons

lemon cream tart

frangipane tart

eclairs

8 comments:

supreme courtney said...

I love the lavender with the white stamp! The napkins are also incredible!

Deirdre Zahl said...

When I get pregnant, I am going to break the rules and host my own baby shower by flying you in to do it. I know no one will do it to such perfection! This is amazing!!!

Annie Campbell said...

Thanks D! You won't have to throw your own shower; I'll fly myself out and do something fabulous. Maybe it could be my first 'twins' shower!!! That would be amazing. I would probably let you help with the invitations. Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Some of your prettiest pictures yet...very simple and beautiful!

Erin (Blue Egg Kitchen) said...

It was a beautiful, clean shower with simple, elegant food--even more impressive sense you planned it from afar.

Lisa Anne Logan said...

Such a beautiful event, Annie! It was a pleasure to help out and learn lots of great, thoughtful touches from you along the way. You truly have a special flair for these things. I'll send pics of the book we compiled for Jen - photos and notes to baby Charlotte from each guest - turned out adorably! Cheers!

AMELIA ALVAREZ said...

Simply lovely. We have to collaborate on a post somehow:)

Alexandra Joy said...

Another beautiful affair. Thanks for the wonderful ideas. A lot of your photos go into my "inspirations" folder. :)

Post a Comment