August 24, 2010

To Picnic or Not to Picnic?

So brilliant in theory: a picnic. Neatly packaged, thoughtfully selected edibles enjoyed in nature on a Ralph Lauren plaid throw. Barefoot Contessa and Martha Stewart always have beautiful photographs of luxurious picnics with pasta salad in chinese takeout containers and galvanized tubs filled with microbrews and sparkling lemonade on ice. But who carried the tub to the picnic site? Hauled all of the garbage home? In reality, picnics can be uncomfortable, sandy, and a lot of effort. (I want to love them, I really do!!) But I've discovered a picnic loop-hole. Picnics are great out on a boat while fishing! And they must be kept simple. So for our latest outing to Clear Lake, I made Italian sandwiches on crusty baguettes. They were fully loaded with heirloom tomatoes--green zebras, purple cherokees and brandy wines--fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, basil and salami. The only acutrament: salt and pepper kettle chips and a bottle of red.

3 comments:

Erin (Blue Egg Kitchen) said...

It's so true that picnics can end up being quite difficult; we now do just a few cheeses, wine, whole fruit, and a baguette to tear from. Wish I were on the lake with you. I can taste the summery juiciness of the tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.

amy blessing said...

annie
you know i love it when someone brings some "real" to martha!!
thank you!

Alexandra Joy said...

Great inspiration for a delightful, fresh baguette. I just added the ingredients to my shopping list. This will be a perfect snack for the softball tourney I'll be watching this weekend.

Post a Comment